Skip to content

About Us

oldsanctuary.jpgIn the summer of 1927 a tent revival was held at the corner of Memorial Drive and Lyndon Avenue. As a result of this revival a decision was made to establish a Methodist church to be the first church in the immediate area. Fifty-five people became charter members of White Oak Methodist Episcopal, South. On October 3, Rev. Woodall Johnson was appointed as minister and soon a building committee was appointed. This building became “The Tabernacle” and the first service was celebrated on December 10, 1927. This was a frame church with a bell in a small steeple and two “pot-bellied” stoves in each front corner providing the heat and paper fans and open windows were the cooling system.

It was determined in December 1939 that a larger building was needed and a fund raising drive began. Work began in 1941 and the building was completed in September 1943. Lumber from the Tabernacle was used as framing so the final service in the Tabernacle was on August 10, 1941. Until the first floor was completed, services were held at White Oak Elementary School. This building was built by the hands and with the love of men of the congregation.

Directly beneath the sanctuary was a large assembly room and a kitchen. Sunday school rooms were contained in a 3-story structure at the rear of the sanctuary. The formal opening was September 5, 1943.

On November 13, 1960, the first service was held in the present sanctuary. This building program planned for a sanctuary to seat some 600 people, 12 new class rooms, and office space. This is White Oak’s third sanctuary and is located on the site of the original Tabernacle. The 85 foot steeple houses the same bell that was located in the small steeple of the Tabernacle. It still calls the community to worship and is rung on special occasions and at the death of church members.

The first kindergarten in the area (September 1947) and the first senior citizen group in the area (October 23, 1982) were offered at White Oak UMC. A White Oak Methodist Church was built in Kowlur, India, while our third building program was in progress. The White Oak Mission on Sweetland and Ridgewood was organized in 1964 to reach out into our community.

We have sponsored ball teams, scout troops, van ministry, and tape ministry. We were able to repay the White Oak Elementary School for using its facilities during our early days by having classes in our church when the school burned.

%d bloggers like this: